The Florida Times Union and WJXT are reporting that two small children in Jacksonville swallowed powerful magnets and suffered intestinal perforations. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (“CPSC”) has received over 200 reports of children swallowing tiny magnets like Buckyballs since 2008.
The CPSC has a campaign to educate consumers on the dangers of magnets due to the seriousness of the injuries with some of them requiring children to be hospitalized and have the magnets surgically removed.
In 2012 the CPSC banned the sale of Buckyballs and sued the makers of Buckyballs and Buckycube because of the dangers the magnets posed to children.. The actions by the CPSC shows the danger and seriousness of getting these dangerous products off the market. They have also passed a rule the prohibit magnet sets. PROPOSED RULE: September 4, 2012
In April 2013 six large retailers voluntarily recalled the magnets because Maxfield & Oberton, the importer of the magnets refused to.
At Terrell • Hogan, we think recall information is worth repeating to keep your family informed and safe. The dangerous magnets have caused and continue to personal injuries to children and need to be taken out of use. In this case, the CPSC is doing everything it can to get these defective products off the market, yet the manufacturer and importer continues to ignore the harm these defective products cause to children.
So, until there’s a solution to this worrisome problem, we will continue to repeat recall information to help keep you informed and safe. At Terrell • Hogan, protecting families from unforeseen accidents and personal injury is what we do every day. We represent the injured as they seek justice, but we also know that it’s best to try to find ways to prevent injury and loss before they happen.
Dangers of Magnets
SCS Direct Recalls Over 100,000 Magnet Ball Sets